Search  

Beneficˆncia Portuguesa de São Paulo

Home »Press Area » Institutional » About the Beneficência Portuguesa Hospital of São Paulo

About the Beneficência Portuguesa of São Paulo


On October 2, 2009 the Beneficência Portuguesa Hospital of São Paulo will be celebrating its 150 years of existence. Since 1951, it has been presided by the Ermírio de Moraes family. In May of 2008, Sr. Antônio Ermírio de Mores received from the President of the Republic, Mr. Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, the Oswaldo Cruz Medal for Merit, for the medical care that the Institution performed for the Unified Health System (SUS). In August of 2008, the Beneficência Portuguesa Hospital of São Paulo was honored by it performance in the Voluntary Sector, with relevant services rendered to the poor population in our country, during the 11th CIEE/Gazeta Mercantil Seminar of the Voluntary Sector.

The Hospital is currently regarded as one of the largest private hospital complexes in Latin America and is directed by Dr. Rubens Ermírio de Moraes. Together with other philanthropic hospitals and the public hospital system, the Beneficência Portuguesa Hospital of São Paulo performs a fundamental role for the Brazilian population, since 60% of its medical care is provided through the Unified Health System (SUS). According to data from Datasus, during the period from 2005 and 2007, the Beneficência Portuguesa Hospital of São Paulo performed a significant part of the SUS procedures for the State of São Paulo, according to the following examples:

  • 34% of the cardiac surgeries
  • 74% of the pediatric cardiac surgeries
  • 38% of the hemodynamic procedures
  • 23% of the cornea transplants
  • 15% of the pancreas transplants
  • 13% of the liver transplants

The Hospital has 6,000 collaborators and 1,500 doctors. It provides health care for approximately 1,5 million patients annually in more than 40 medical specialties. This is only possible due to the constant investment in technology and the modernization of the structure. The Beneficência Portuguesa Hospital of São Paulo complex is composed of 5 blocks and the São José Hospital Unit, especially designed to offer its patients the most modern facilities in Hospital-Hotel and technology. With a total area of 143 thousand square meters, the Institution has 1,920 beds, 233 allocated to the ICU, 64 operating rooms, a modern diagnosis sector, emergency treatment and ambulatory sector. All of this allows for the performance of 28 thousand surgeries annually and over 4 million exams; besides an average of 200 transplants a year.

Responsabilidade

The Beneficência Portuguesa Hospital of São Paulo is also regarded as a reference center in transplants. In February of 2008, the medical technician superintendent of the hospital, Dr. João Salvestrin and the Chiefs of Hepatology, Dr. Marcelo Perosa Miranda and Dr. Tercio Genzini, received the 2007 Outstanding Organ Donation award, promoted by the Health Department of the State of São Paulo. Between 1973 and 2007, 3,345 heart, liver, medulla, kidney, lung transplants were performed, among others. A rare and unique case was performed in 1993, when a patient was living with two hearts. Five years later, the first bilateral lung transplant and the first heart and lung transplant were performed successfully in Brazil.

Maestro Cardim Street, 769 - Bela Vista - São Paulo - SP - Zip Code 01323-900 - Phone: +55 11 3505-1000      © Copyright 2014 - Beneficência Portuguesa of São Paulo. All rights reserved - by vm2